Making the decision to undergo bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is one of the smartest decisions you can make when it comes to doing what’s right and healthy for your aging body. If you previously worked with a doctor who offered conventional means of HRT, sometimes figuring what to look for in a physician who offers BHRT can be a bit overwhelming.
Here are some tips you can follow when choosing an age-management physician:
- Search for a physician who specializes in BHRT. Although BHRT can be conducted by a family physician, you’ll want to work with a physician who specializes in BHRT and has the knowledge and experience needed to help you overcome any difficult roadblocks during treatment.
- Meet with physicians themselves before choosing a BHRT provider. Since hormone imbalances affect the entire body and are often associated with other health problems, hormone therapy can be very intense. Be sure that you can meet and work with your physician throughout treatment, and steer clear of providers that do not arrange for you to meet with the physician.
- Verify that you can meet with your physician regularly. Throughout BHRT, you may have questions about treatment results, or need expert consultation during your visits. Sometimes, you may even be frustrated with treatment and need answers. Make sure that you will have access to your physician during visits when you need them the most.
- Learn about the physician’s treatment methodology. A one-size-fits-all approach is rarely the right approach to BHRT, and your physician should tailor your treatment based on what works for you. An experienced physician who specializes in BHRT will be able to individualize your treatment, and refer to evidence-based studies when conducting treatment.
- Ask your physician about their goals in regards to your treatment. Your physician’s goal should always be to restore your hormones to their optimal levels. If a physician tells you that their goal is to get your hormones to levels common for your age group, then it’s possible that that physician may not truly understand the importance of age management.
Dr. Mark Strehlow of Rock Creek Wellness has had a passion for Age Management Medicine for more than 10 years, and is considered one of the Midwest’s leading experts in this field. Contact us today to learn more about bioidentical hormone therapy and schedule a free consultation.