Cortisol is a naturally-occurring hormone that your body releases into the blood stream when you experience stress. Stress can lead to a number of major health problems if not carefully managed — including accelerated aging, weight gain, heart disease, and bone loss, or osteoporosis.
When a person experiences long-term stress, elevated levels of cortisol can eventually lead to calcium depletion and bone loss. Cortisol can break down the amino acids that make up collagen, which is the connective tissue that supports healthy joints. Elevated cortisol levels can also inhibit the multiplication of healthy cells on the outer layer of bones, and cause lower bone density as a result.
Although controlling cortisol may seem difficult, especially if you feel that moments of stress are unavoidable, there are several ways you can lower the cortisol levels in your body and fight stress naturally.
- Consume a higher amount of fruits and vegetables. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can provide your body with the antioxidants it needs to fight inflammation and naturally lower cortisol. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids can also help battle cortisol, such as olive oil, avocado, coconuts, and fish.
- Perform exercises that strengthen your spine and posture to reduce neurological stress and enhance neurological function, or undergo regular chiropractic adjustments.
- Go to bed before 11 p.m. every night and aim for 8 hours of quality sleep. Adjusting your sleep patterns will allow your body to adapt to a healthy circadian rhythm – naturally resulting in a mood boost and less stress.
- Perform high-intensity exercise on a regular basis. High-intensity exercise can naturally strengthen joints and bones, while also helping to boost your overall health and immune system.
- Practice deep breathing as well as emotional and mental relaxation techniques.
- Optimize vitamin D intake. Spend at least 20 minutes in the sun on a daily basis to boost your vitamin D intake, which can help strengthen bones and increase bone density.
- Take a bioidentical hormone therapy that contains progesterone. Progesterone is a naturally-occurring hormone in women that supports optimal bone health, and can help prevent osteoporosis.
Rock Creek Wellness specializes in age management and bioidentical hormone therapies that can help men and women get back on the road to optimal health and a happier life. Contact us today to learn more about how our bioidentical hormone therapies can boost your health and slow down the aging process.